Business Benefits of Backing Up Your Data
As ransomware incidents and data breaches make daily headlines, data protection should be top-of-mind for today’s businesses. In fact, as data continues to scatter beyond the data center and into cloud services and onto mobile devices, businesses are looking toward a complete data backup strategy.
Organizations must think about how to address important governance needs including compliance, regulatory and litigation matters.
We’ve collected 17 real-world business benefits on why Northeast, Ohio Small Businesses, and Non-Profit Organizations should implement a strategy for data backup.
How Your Department Benefits
- Simple deployment and administration. The right backup solution offers a central administrative console to support mass deployment and rollout without end-user involvement. With one unified platform to easily create policies and monitor activity, IT teams can reduce time and resources required to install, deploy, and manage backups across company laptops and mobile devices, freeing up your team to move up the value chain to do more innovative projects, training, or server maintenance.
- Reduction in frontline IT time. A typical IT team spends significant time responding to end user requests for recovering lost files and devices. With an enterprise endpoint backup solution deployed, the IT team spends less time on frontline support. In one customer case, more than 90% of calls for backup support went away after end-users were able to do restores without IT help. With fewer help-desk calls about lost files, the time spent managing lost devices is reduced significantly.
- More satisfied end users. Let’s face it: end users have high expectations of the IT team when their data get lost. When a file is damaged, lost or destroyed, the urgent question is, “Where’s my data?” It’s expected that IT has a solution in place to protect employee data. The IT team can access data backed up in the cloud, and respond quickly and positively, resulting in satisfied end users.
- More nimble response by IT to legal requests related to compliance and discovery. Due to the exploding volume of corporate data on endpoints and the rise of litigation to protect a business’s intellectual property, the need to collect and preserve data more critical.
- Global-ready cloud storage. With ever-changing data privacy requirements across geographies, it’s important for IT teams to allow for multiple regions and availability zones for better control over their data in the cloud. Being able to specify where data can be accessed for each of your office locations will guarantee compliance with strict data regulations. This is all possible with a scalable cloud architecture.
How Your End Users Benefit
- Easy, fast restores of lost files. In most organizations without an endpoint backup solution, end users are backing up their own devices inconsistently and irregularly. Returning data backup and restore to the hands of IT brings peace of mind to your employees. And, when data is lost or stolen, recovery is painless. Instead of having to hold laptops hostage for a few hours or days to make the switch to a new device, IT can issue a new laptop and do a quick restore. This keeps end users focused on their work with less downtime.
- Zero impact on performance. A reliable backup solution that doesn’t affect endpoint device performance. Because Streamline Technology Group works unobtrusively in the background, most of the time end users do not even realize that all their important files are being backed up effortlessly and continuously as they work. That means fewer disruptions and more uptime for your workforce.
- Empowering end users who help themselves. Even if an employee leaves a laptop at home or damages a file, they can access data instantly via the client, empowering them to restore files on their own without ever having to contact the IT department. This has significantly reduced overhead, freeing up IT’s time to focus on other projects rather than handling these types of support requests.
- Secure file sharing on the go. Your employee’s priority is getting the job done and staying productive, and in that pursuit, may turn to unreliable and unsecured cloud services to share files, often inadvertently mixing personal and business data. With Streamline Technology, you can offer a 100% secure method for employees to share files with each other — whether onsite or remote.
How Your Legal Department Benefits
- Faster file recovery. The traditional methods require multiple days just to locate the data; depending on size, it could take weeks or even months before actually getting your hands on it. That is not the best way to scale and respond to important legal requests.
- Ability to hold data over time. Business processes commonly require companies to hold that data for a certain amount of time for compliance reasons. The old way involved manually disabling computers until they could find an easier and more efficient way to do it. Legal teams can ensure all data within the company can be accessed for necessary holds with just one click.
- Always-on protection of your business’s intellectual property. Legal teams know better than anyone that a business’s data is an asset. They want to know that the valuable content being created by employees will not make its way into the wrong hands.
How Your Executives Benefit
- Peace of mind when their own high-value data is protected. Executives who are traveling frequently are likely to carry irreplaceable data such as critical contacts and valuable research, often saved only on laptops or other devices that are not backed up. With Streamline Technology Group, executives are safely backed up and can stay focused on bigger business challenges.
- Controlling costs. Back in the day, the loss of a lost laptops and other mobile devices were usually written off as simple expenses, but over time companies realized the cost of these losses accumulated exponentially. The true average cost of a lost business laptop is about $50,000 when factoring in not only the device but the data on it. Streamline Technology Group contains and reduces this cost in the form of uptime, restored data, and business continuity.
- Improved Employee Productivity. With Streamline Technology Group, employees are able to return to productivity much more quickly without worrying about restoring data that might have been lost with a misplaced or damaged device. Getting back up to speed is no longer an issue.
- More strategic management of corporate information. Rather than think of laptop backup as an insurance policy or something you do after too many incidents of data loss, Streamline Technology Group enables companies to think proactively about data governance and address data loss prevention, laptop and cloud services back up, and secure file sharing in one integrated solution.
How Your Customers Benefit
- Protection from breach or misuse. While your customers may not know about your choice to protect and govern your business’s data, Streamline Technology Group helps safeguard and protect critical information behind the scenes, so your chances of breach and exposure are greatly reduced — protecting your brand and maintaining hard-won customer trust.
The business gains of cloud backup multiply when you consider the solution not just for backup, but for addressing other challenges — such as OS migrations at scale, secure file sharing; managing the lifecycle of data across users and regions and enhanced data governance for eDiscovery and compliance needs.